When you donate appreciated securities to the Alzheimer’s Association, you receive two tax breaks. First, you may be able to deduct these gifts as charitable donations. Moreover, you can also avoid capital gains tax on the transfer.

When giving securities, be sure to consult with your financial advisor and/or attorney.

Securities Held By Your Broker

Inform your broker in writing that you wish to give appreciated securities to the Alzheimer’s Association and the date you would like the transfer made. Stock should be transferred to the Alzheimer’s Association Minnesota-North Dakota’s Northwestern Mutual brokerage account. Here are the details you will need.

Alzheimer’s Disease and Related Disorders Association, Inc.,
Minnesota-North Dakota Chapter
dba Alzheimer’s Association Minnesota-North Dakota
Account No.:
DTC No.:
0443 (Pershing, LLC is the clearing firm for Northwestern Mutual)

Please request that your firm include your name with any stock transfer, and please inform Rebecca Stibbe at the Association of your intent to make a gift this way. If you have any questions, you may contact Rebecca at 952-857-0537 or Brad Vick at Northwestern Mutual at 651-905-6440.

Certificates You Hold

If you hold the actual stock certificates, please contact Rebecca Stibbe at 952-857-0537 for further instructions.

Mutual Funds

Mutual fund transfers may take longer to transfer as each mutual fund company has its own requirements for making charitable contributions. Contact the customer service department at your company to secure the forms needed and then call Rebecca at 952-857-0537 to discuss your intent. Please allow at least one month for the transfer.

More Information

For more information about gifts of securities, contact Rebecca Stibbe, Director of Development, at 952-857-0537 or email rebecca.stibbe@alz.org.